Friday, January 20, 2012

Journal 25 - Fear

Fear is something that everyone possesses. Without fear there will be nothing to overcome and the need to better oneself will be gone. Fear is terrifying and when someone overcomes their fear they feel accomplished and proud of themselves. There are no physical objectives/ inanimate objects that I am afraid of at this age. When I was younger I was afraid of snakes, but then I petted a snake at the zoo in Arizona when I was visiting my grandparents. Because I faced my fear of snakes I am not afraid of snakes. Although I declined to watch Snakes on a Plane just to be on the safe side. When I was about 6 years old I watched the Disney live action movie The Swiss Family Robinson. That movie made me afraid of my basement for months. In the movie there was a jungle scene when the dad got attacked by a panther or some sort of animal. While the dad was gathering wood or hunting or something then got attacked by the animal, the mom and sister got attacked by a huge snake! I think that is what made my afraid of snakes. I was afraid that in my basement there would be a giant snake or a leopard or a panther who would jump out at me and eat me. It was very terrifying. But then I realized that my basement was not a jungle and was able to go down there and not be consumed be a jungle animal. That was really the only thing that I was afraid of when I was little. Now I am afraid of mental and emotional things. I am subconsciously terrified of not doing well. But I try my hardest in everything so I guess I have not faced my fear as I have not failed in anything. At some point I will have to deal with that, but I am content on waiting until the time comes when I do really bad at something and have to face the fear of failing.

No comments:

Post a Comment