Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Journal 21 - Snow

The frost on the windowpane slopes gracefully downward as the icicles drop down from the rooftop. As I gaze at the falling white snow and realize that my mailbox is no longer visible, my phone rings. I answer it, and to my delight, school has been canceled. I take one more glance out of the window at the white wonderland then go upstairs to turn my sister's alarm off. A snow day! All of the sudden I hear a branch break under the pressure of the heavy snow and crash against the fence. I return to the window to check if there is any damage. The branch fell into a big drift pile of snow after bouncing off of the fence, and is no longer visible. The snow is continuing to fall and is at least a foot deep. After putting on many layers of clothes I grab my sled from the basement, find two matching boots of my size, and run outside into the winter wonderland. The snowflakes stick to my stocking cap as I try to catch a piece of the frozen rain on my tongue. As the wind blows the snow around many snowflakes land on my mouth. I think to myself of the odds of the snow being acidic or some solidified version of acid rain. As I live in Springfield and the last time I checked there is not any nuclear power plants extremely close by, I figured the snow was not to toxic. I gazed out across the untouched snow then set my sled down on the top of the hill my house sits upon, looked for any oncoming cars, backed up then ran and jumped onto the sled. Using forward momentum to further increase my speed, I sped down the hill on my childhood sled and let out a yell of excitement. My parents taught me well, as all of the momentum that I gathered propelled me down the hill, across the street, and into my neighbor's lawn. Looking for cars before sledding down the hill was on afterthought, a very intelligent thing to do. I turn and look at the snow covered hill that now has a two foot wide indent running down the front. The perfect winter wonder land that was once smooth with freshly fallen snow shows signs of the loving care only a kid can give to such an innocent and soft landscape.

No comments:

Post a Comment