Friday, September 16, 2011

Journal 8 - Autumn

I do not like to spell Autumn. The silent n's always get me. In the Spanish translation that we just did for homework I misspelled solemn. Anyways I enjoy the season of autumn. It is just the right temperature. I like low 70s, upper 60s temperatures as opposed to below freezing temps or 90 plus temperature. Spring and fall (I prefer saying fall instead of autumn because not only is it only easier to spell, but one less syllable) are the best seasons because of the temperature and outdoor sports. I swim and throw shot and disc in track. Both of these sports need warm weather. Although swimming is outdoors, it is not very fun to walk out to your car in a wet suit and towel after practice is over in the freezing cold. Track meets are the best when it is slightly on the cool side, similar to temperatures in autumn.

To go back to something I mentioned above, why are the words fall and autumn interchangeable? They mean the same thing: season in between summer and winter with cool temperatures, trees whose leaves change color, and harvesting crops. I use autumn with formal writing and fall with informal writing. If I have time this weekend I might do some research on why there are two words for the season and when is it correct to use each term.

Autumn. A ton. A ton of dumb. Atone men. Ought to mend. Ought to get 'em. Out of Tums. That is very entertaining. I enjoy word games. Always Use Tylenol Unless Mother Neglects. All Universes Tend to Utilize Mother Nature. Americans Utilize The Ultimate Mighty Nose. I have been in Scholastic for too many years to not break down a word into such things like above. Autumn: nut, aunt, mat, tan, ant, man. Autumn is half vowels and half consonant. The two u's do not help with the anagram - like game.

Free write journals are fun. Autumn autumn autumn. And I am working on expanding my vocabulary and working my brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment